For some time I’ve been contemplating my attachments and allegiances to all 30 major league baseball teams. The list is fluid as the years go by, although the Tribe is always No. 1. The list is influenced mainly by where I’ve lived and the franchises I’ve been able to follow regularly. Other factors — such as who beat whom, uniform styles, favorite players, radio announcers — enter the equation. (Compiled summer 2009)
1. Cleveland Indians — A fan from the point of conception
2. San Francisco Giants — With Barry gone, they’re tops in N.L.
3. Oakland Athletics — Even in a down year, I still care
4. Milwaukee Brewers — September collapse notwithstanding, I’m on the Brew Crew
5. Chicago Cubs — They’ll drop like a stone if they win it all
6. New York Yankees — Better them than most others
7. Philadelphia Phillies — Yo, Philly!
8. Seattle Mariners — I lived there, but the attachment’s fading
9. Chicago White Sox — The “small market team” in Chitown
10. New York Mets — Every few years, they make me believe
11. Baltimore Orioles — Fond memories of the great years
12. Kansas City Royals — Midwestern hope springs eternal
WHEN I’M IN THE MOOD
13. Boston Red Sox — They were cuter when they lost
14. Minnesota Twins — Annoy me most years but have occasional charms
15. Toronto Blue Jays — Oh, Canada!
16. Detroit Tigers — Residual allegiance to the old AL East
17. Washington Nationals — The town could use a break
18. San Diego Padres — Tops in SoCal for me, which ain’t sayin’ much
19. Los Angeles Angels — California, Anaheim, LA — make up your mind, dudes!
20. Pittsburgh Pirates — I can’t loathe my dad’s childhood team
ON THE DOWNSLOPE
21. Colorado Rockies — Up a few notches because of ex-Modesto Nuts
22. Texas Rangers — Bore me
23. Houston Astros — Yawn
24. Arizona Diamondbacks — Can’t forgive fluke Series victory over Yanks
25. Tampa Bay Rays — They’ve moved up a notch or two since dropping “Devil” from the name
26. Cincinnati Reds — A second-rate city deserves a second-division team
27. Florida Marlins — Unworthy teams beat Giants in playoffs, Tribe in Series
28. Los Angeles Dodgers — aka the Stinking Dodgers
29. St. Louis Cardinals –Scraping bottom
30. Atlanta Braves — Ted’s team turns my stomach